All you need to know about divorce and pension fund benefits.

You are entitled to 50% of the value of your spouse’s Retirement Fund or Retirement Annuity  if you are married in community of property or out of community of property with Ante Nuptial Contract (ANC ) with accrual.

Ensure that your settlement agreement states that you receive 50% of the gross amount, as you are liable for the tax.

The name of the Fund and the Policy Number or Member Number must be stipulated in your settlement agreement.

Make sure that you get the full value of your spouse’s contribution, as well as the company’s.  It is transferable/accessible on the date of the divorce order.

Your spouse’s employer may have a Provident Fund AND a Pension Fund. If so, claim your 50% from both funds.  This includes all Retirement Funds and Preservation Funds.

How do you ensure you can claim this benefit?  Read the following article from Mail & Gaurdian online.

Also read:

Required Documents To Lodge A GEPF Divorce Claim

How To Claim Divorce Benefit From GEPF


Social Share:

10 thoughts on “Divorce And Pension Fund Benefits”


    Hi Janene, I just want to thank you for the quick, friendly and professional assistance with my 50% claim after being divorced for 6yrs now and a struggle to handle this claim for month and month as a single parent with the Government pension department, I nearly gave up hope when I came across your web site…I can only say THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! My part has been paid out in not even 3 months and you kept me updated all the time and not to mention the 2% that is nothing compared to the attorney’s fees ext. Thank you kindly!! Leoni Smal

  2. I was going through the MG article on your site and I noticed an omission that the portion of benefits paid out to the non-member spouse becomes a debt to the fund due by the member spouse which will drastically affect the remaining portion.

  3. Good afternoon
    I am in a situation where he refuses to give me and my layer any information in the pension number, what do i do then?
    Please contact me

  4. Hi, I just want to clarity something; I’m divorced but my ex husband said he wants nothing from me and we agreed that we both don’t need to share anything, I want to know that if I resign now and he changes his mind will he be entitle to 50% of my pension.

  5. Good day Trainer, if nothing is stipulated in your Divorce Decree, he cannot claim. If it is stipulated but he never put in a claim before, he can claim once you resign.

    1. Xpression Assist

      Good day Nkosiyabo, I can assist by following up on the claim to determine where it is in the process. I have sent you an email with further information. Regards, Janene

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *